Diverticulosis Home Remedies and Warning Signs – Cramps, Bloating, Constipation
Dr. Oz did a segment on today’s show about Diverticulosis, it’s warning signs, and home remedies. He said that 2/3 of Americans will develop Diverticulosis at one point in their lives. Warning signs of Diverticulosis is cramps, bloating, and constipation. Diverticulosis can be deadly (Diverticulitis) so today Dr. Oz talks about how everyone should be taking care of their colon.
How To Prevent Diverticulosis – Fiber
Dr. Oz said that while many people will develop Diverticulosis, many will never develop Diverticulitis if you follow a healthy diet that is rich in fiber. When you add fiber to your diet it changes the way your colon manages constipation. When you are having regular bowel movements you are less likely to develop Diverticulosis and much less likely to ever experience the life threatening Diverticulitis.
- Dr. Oz suggests that everyone should have 25 grams of fiber each day
- For people who aren’t used to taking fiber should start out small and build up 25 grams to help prevent excess gas and bloating. He suggests starting out at 10 grams and adding a couple of grams each week to your diet.
Foods to add fiber to your diet (to achieve 25 grams of fiber):
- Bowl of Bran cereal – 10 grams
- 1/2 cup of broccoli – 5 grams
- Apple – 4 grams
- 1/2 cup of chickpeas
Eat Nuts, Seeds, and Popcorn
- Dr. Oz says that he wants you to eat nuts, seeds, and popcorn. Also you should limit red meat intake to once or twice a week.
Show Recaps :